Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Chapter 7





The first quote that stood out to me was “Ingstad and his wife had investigated the north American coast from Florida to Labrador over the course of fifteen years, in an unsuccessful search for Viking landing sites” (Weidensaul). This statement stood out to me a lot because I have made the drive up the east coast from the southernmost point of Florida to only Maine. This is a huge amount of space to cover and I also feel that it is the most beautiful stretch of the United States. It amazes me that all out of all the times I have driven up this stretch of land I never once thought about the Vikings. I also never thought about the interaction between the Vikings and native American tribes like the author spoke about in the book. To me it is interesting to think about how they communicated back and forth when some tribes had their own language, and the Vikings were coming from a different country.

“In 1835 the federal government signed a spurious treaty with a handful of Cherokee who acted without the tribe’s authorization.” This sentence stood out to me because I find it interesting that just a few Cherokee people could sign away the tribe’s land without authorization. It also makes me think about how the government took advantage of the Cherokee people in this instance. It shows how the government was ruthless to all native American tribes and this is just one of the many examples.

The last quote that stood out to me was “The Cherokee got embroiled in the French and Indian war, first as allies with the British, but eventually falling out with them bloodily in the conflict known as the Cherokee war.” (Weidensaul). This stood out to me because I find it interesting that normal grade schools teach us about the big wars that affected us but not the ones that affected others especially the ones we lost or the ones that we look like the bad guys in. I was never told about the Cherokee war and I find that it is a very important event in history.




Image result for vikings

http://www.beastsofwar.com/saga/muster-beneath-banner-saga-vikings/


Image result for carokee indians


http://thenephilimchronicles.blogspot.com/2011/07/cherokee-and-mound-builders.html






http://adventuresofrabin.blogspot.com/2010/10/predictions-for-tonights-east-coast.html


Weidensaul, S. (2016). Mountains of the Heart: A Natural History of the Appalachians. Golden: Fulcrum Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment