Thursday, March 30, 2017

3-30-17


The first quote that stood out to me was “Higher elevations would have been tundra-like, possibly similar to what one might find in modern-day northern Canada and Alaska.” ( HUMANS IN THE CENTRAL APPALACHIANS).  This quote caught my attention because I am a person who hates high temperatures to the point they put me in a bad mood. I always think about how I wish that everywhere was colder than it is. To find out in this statement that the area we are studying was once similar to Canada and Alaska is amazing to me because I have always wanted to move to those places because they are so cold. This really makes me wonder if one day the temperatures will drop again like this.
Image result for alaska
http://www.cruisebrothers.com/alaska-cruise-image.htm

This next quote I chose because it makes me think of where I am from. “The Revolutionary War, or American War of Independence, extended from 1775 to 1787 and resulted in the establishment of the United States as an independent country.” (HUMANS IN THE CENTRAL APPALACHIANS). Being from Massachusetts, there is a lot of history revolving around the revolutionary war there. When we were children , we were brought to historical sites such as where the Boston Tea Party took place. It is strange that we never learned a lot about how other places like the Appalachians were affected, I feel like there should be more thought on the subject that doesn’t involve just New England.
Image result for boston tea party
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Boston_Tea_Party-Cooper.jpg


“As soon as settlers started moving into the region, logging of small areas of forest began.” (HUMANS IN THE CENTRAL APPALACHIANS). I chose this sentence because I think logging is one of the worst things to happen to the forests of the Appalachians. It amazes me that so much damage was done to the forest and that some areas have not recovered. There are different types off logging but clear cutting is the worst and was used so much that it really scarred the region.



Stephenson, S. (2013). HUMANS IN THE CENTRAL APPALACHIANS. West Virginia University Press  :Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment