Tuesday, April 18, 2017

4-18-17


The first sentence I chose to quote is “Appalachians, or at least non-Cherokee Appalachians, sometimes are represented as being exploiters of the environment; at the same time, they also may be characterized as having a strong sense of place.”. This quote is in Michael Ann Williams article "When I Can Read My Title Clear". I chose this sentence because I find it interesting that the people of Appalachia have two stereotypes. In my perspective, I see the first one to be partially true and partially false. They are thought to exploit the environment which I think is partially true because a lot of the communities want mining to produce jobs or use nature to promote tourism. I find it to also be partially false because a lot of people in the communities fight against this because they want to protect their homes and community. The second stereotype of characterization is that the people of the Appalachians have a strong sense of place. I agree with this because most people in these communities don’t leave or travel anywhere so this makes their homes the only place they know and they are very attached.
Image result for trains
http://blog.okfn.org/2011/09/06/freeing-train-data/


The second sentence I decided to quote is also from Michael Ann Williams article. “More to the point, even if the non-Indian settlers had wanted to exploit the environment, their ability to do so was limited by the difficulty of transportation.”. I chose this sentence because to me it is saying that the stereotype of people in the Appalachians exploiting the environment could not be true because the transportation in and out of the mountains severely limits the ability to exploit it.
Image result for national parks
http://www.sunset.com/travel/outdoor-adventure/national-parks


The third sentence I quoted is from T. Young’s article. “As land acquisition began in late 1925, the property that would become the park was held in more than 6600 separate tracts, all of which had to be purchased and vacated”.  I chose this sentence because I find the subject controversial. Parks are very important but is it fair the remove the current residents of the land needed to create them. I think that if the government offered an appropriate amount of money to the residents then maybe it would be less controversial; however most of the time the residents are offered an extremely inadequate amount of money for their land.



Williams, M. (2002). Culture, Environment and Conservation in the Appalachian South. Board of Trustees

of the University of Illinois: Illinois.

Young, T. (2006). False, cheap and degraded: when history, economy and environment collided at Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Journal of Historical Geography: Pomona.

No comments:

Post a Comment