Tuesday, April 4, 2017

4-4-17


The first sentence that I chose was “This multilayered region is increasingly the focus of debates pitting the short-term economic value of coal and timber against the long-term value of a diverse forest system and topography”(Howell). because it reminded me about what we talked about in our North American Environment class. We talked about how one of the ideas the new president is trying to pass is additional mining in the mountains which would create additional jobs for the communities that need it. Whether I like the presidents views overall or not, I did not agree with this one. Yes, it will create jobs but they will be short term ones, and this will also aid in the deconstruction of nature in those areas.
Image result for coal minnighttp://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2013/jan/20/king-coal-underground-economic-engine-routt-county/

The second sentence I chose is “For projects that radically transform ecosystems, the checklist approach of federal legislation designed to protect air, water, wildlife, prime farmland, and a narrow range of cultural resources is inadequate.”(Howell).  I chose this one because there is a lot of truth to it. I agree that there are inadequate laws and regulations regarding the protection of our environment from industries that damage the environment. I know that in some areas there are rules that companies must leave the environment that they do their mining/logging in the same condition or better than before they started the project.

The third sentence that I chose from the article is “The prime locations for ginseng are found on the north-facing, wet sides of these depressions.”(Howell). I chose this sentence because I have heard a lot about the ginseng plant from my sister and people I work with, but I have never really thought about what it looks like or where it comes from. In this section of the article I especially liked this sentence because it included a detailed description of the type of places you would look for it in the environment. I think that this plant has many holistic uses for it and society needs to be more aware of where the supplements or ingredients they use come from.
http://identifythatplant.com/virginia-creeper-and-ginseng/ginseng-3/

Howell B. (2002). Culture, Environment, and Conservation in the Appalachian South. Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois. Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment